Seaside Treasures: Watercolor Pencil Techniques
In this one-day workshop we will be capturing the essence of the coastline by drawing and painting shells and other seaside treasures. Artists of all levels can discover the versatility when working with watercolor pencils. We will learn about tips and techniques on how to manage the color wet or dry as well as how to mix and layer colors, create washes and textures. Watercolor pencils are portable, versatile and great for travel, quick sketching or a detailed drawing. They can be used alone or combined with other mediums.
Contact us via this link if you need help with registration
Instructor: Kendra Ferriera
Bio: Kendra Ferreira has a BFA from Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, with a concentration in printmaking. She is a signature member of the Colored Pencil Society of America in two areas, holding a second signature membership in the exploration of using other mediums and surfaces with colored pencil. Kendra is also an artist member of the Art League of Rhode Island, Nineteen on Paper, Providence Art Club, Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, NYC and the American Artists’ Professional League, NYC.
Kendra’s artwork has been exhibited in exhibitions throughout the US and she has authored a book about drawing with colored pencil titled Colour Pencil Drawing: Techniques and Tutorials for the Complete Beginner published by GMC Book of London and will be part of a new painting and drawing book recently published. Kendra has taught art classes and workshops for over 20 years in various art associations and art museums.
Seaside Treasures Watercolor Pencil Workshop Materials
- Watercolor Brushes – Suggestion: One round (#6 or #8) and/or one flat (1/2”) or any that you like to use
- Graphite Pencil to sketch
- Kneaded eraser or eraser of your choice
- Pencil Sharpener, hand-held or battery operated.
- Notebook or sketchbook
- Optional: watercolor pencils. Brands that I like are Caran d’Ache Supracolor Soft, Faber Castell Albrecht Durer, Staedtler Karat Aquarelle or Prismacolor Premier Watercolor Pencils
Kendra will Supply:
- PAPER we will be working on
If you want to bring additional paper for the workshop, I suggest a good quality paper such as Fabriano Artistico or Arches Watercolor paper – hot press (smooth) – 140 lb or heavier.
- Watercolor pencils for students to borrow
- Some watercolor brushes for students to borrow
- Collection of seaside treasures we will be drawing/painting.
Please feel free to email or call Kendra with any questions or concerns.